Possibly the only *good* example of identity theft



This isn't a security post per se... in fact, it isn't even close. I'm sharing this purely because it still makes me laugh a year after it started. I could labor to make some point about facial recognition or authentication factors but ultimately this is what happens when two security guys prank each other and one of them beats the other hands down.

At some point in the not so distant past, I started a *game* with my good friend Andy where we would set our Facebook profile pictures to one of each other and rename our accounts to match. As you can imagine, this got confusing for everyone who knew us both and hilarity prevailed. After a while I started to 'shop the profile pics to look more like me (above). It was fun for a while, but in the end Andy called time on it and I thought I had won. 


Time passed, and about a year ago to this day, I sat down for dinner with him and around twenty friends after an afternoon touring the bars of Leeds for my birthday. At some point, I left the table to use the bathroom and upon my return almost everyone in the restaurant was sporting a high-res, life-sized cardboard rendition of my features. Everyone was in on it, even the staff and by the time I got back most of the other patrons too. After a few moments, my brain rebooted and I realised what was going on. It was hilarious and it made that birthday the most memorable I can recall. I knew then that he'd won the battle, but what I didn't realise was that he'd probably won the war too.

Some airport that I've never been to...
You see, Andy works in pre-sales. He's one of those really smart guys who also scrubs up well and can "talk shop". That means he has to travel, like many in our industry do. He's maintained that in the first case, he "just happened" to have one of the masks in his bag. He's never offered an explanation for any of the others.

Some conference I didn't speak at...
Some hotel I've never worked in...
Some country I've never visited...
And another...
I think that's basketball, but I can't be sure...
Some bar I've never drunk in...
And they keep coming, and knowing Andy, I suspect they'll never stop. How he convinces strangers in foreign lands to adorn a mask depicting someone else's face and pose for a picture is beyond me. 

Perhaps you'll find something to take away from this, as a real-world example for something (maybe) but, perhaps more likely, a blue print for your own pranks. It's the anniversary this weekend, and who knows, maybe I'll be on Google Earth by this time next year...



Popular posts from this blog

PCI-DSS: Your CDE may be getting bigger

Splunk Security Cheat Sheet

Developing Leeds Scene