Developing Leeds Scene



Conscious that it's been some time since I wrote a post so I thought I'd write a little something about the developing Leeds 'scene' since co-founding DC151 and helping (albeit a little) with BSides Leeds. 

DC151 (Every 2nd Wednesday)

I'd complained for years that Leeds had no regular social gathering for people like us so when Mark C announced BSides Leeds and everyone looked this way I picked up the phone and start texting. After some hurried planning I agreed a format and charter with Matt and we committed to a date for the first gathering, October 11th. We gave ourselves around two months to sort everything, including finding a venue. 

So far we've now held four gatherings and I couldn't be happier with how it's worked out. We've had to learn as we go and tweak the format along the way. We've had some great talks and we continue to receive support and attract interest beyond LS1. 

If you're interested in coming along or getting involved in DC151, please get in touch. You can find us on Twitter and our blog has got the details of the talks and presentations we've had so far. We're also on Instagram.


BSides Leeds (January 2018)

BSides Leeds was a huge success. Mark C did a fantastic job bringing it all together in (really) a very short amount of time. The feedback has been excellent and I'm genuinely excited about next year. 

I had some involvement with BSides Leeds but I struggled to really support it as much as I wanted to in the end due to competing commitments and ill health. I learnt the hard way that flu season is a real thing it and it can mess you up. In the end all I could do was write the sponsorship pack and I ended up having to leave after the keynote on the day because I (genuine quote) "looked green". This meant I missed speaking on the closing panel, much to my annoyance. Hopefully I'll be able to redeem myself next year. 

Talks from the day are up on YouTube and be sure to follow BSides Leeds on Twitter


Leeds Hacking Society (Every Thursday) 


Leeds Hacking Society is formed of students attending various courses at Leeds Beckett but is open to students from other institutions. 

The society, along with Leeds Beckett were heavily involved with setting up and running BSides Leeds and ensuring it went so smoothly. They also have strong ties with the society at Abertay. 

I'm due to present a talk at the Society in March and will be looking to find out how we can all work closer together to ensure we stand the best chance of attracting and retaining talented students in Leeds.

Their website details upcoming events and they're on Twitter

Popular posts from this blog

PCI-DSS: Your CDE may be getting bigger

Splunk Security Cheat Sheet